05 February 2012

Friday Night

As I mentioned in my previous post, I was baking so much the past few days, I really just wanted to relax as much as I could on Friday night (I didn't go to bed on Thursday night).  I kind of succeeded.  I took forever to eat my dinner, which my beautiful mama picked up for me, because I knew that after I finished, it would be back to the grind.  I was only kidding myself by thinking I could relax.

Dinner was "Veggie Delight" from Sumo Sushi, and let me tell you, it was delightful (sorry).  The roll contains steamed mushroom, avocado and asparagus and sweet potato that have both been cooked in a VEGAN tempura batter.  Yes.  This awesome place offers VEGAN tempura.  With my roll, I also had fresh edamame (a must) and a really nice Temparnillo (a must).  Normally, I would have a white wine with sushi but I did NOT like the stuff we had on hand.  It was Menage à Trois's "White Wine."  The company describes the wine as a "delightful blend based on three varietals--Chardonnay, Moscato and Chenin Blanc."  Blegh.  I like certain Chardonnays (Creme de Lys is superb, in my book) but Moscato?  Chenin Blanc?  No.  Thank.  You.  Both are far, far too sweet for me, so the idea of combining them does not sound good.

The point of all this snobbery, you ask?  To reiterate, in an overly dramatic way, why I chose to have red wine over white, which I think pairs nicer with sushi.

 Obviously, this picture was taken before I tried the wine and realized I hated it.

 Notice the tempura asparagus and sweet potato!  I love eating pretty food!!

 I love me my wasabi.  The little dollop you see there?  Devoured.  I almost want to request extra when I place my order but I don't want to be "that" person.  Plus, there's something to be said for dainty, adorable, bitty-sized food items.  A huge glob of wasabi would, I think, detract from the elegance that is a plate of sushi.

Okay, I realize edamame does not really "go" on sushi but for the purposes of taking an artsy photo that foodies would swoon over, it needed to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment