30 January 2012

Collard Green Wrap

In an effort to up my calcium intake, I am trying to eat spinach and other leafy greens at LEAST once a day.  So far I have been successful with the spinach but not so much with the "other leafy greens."  It's not that I'm unwilling to try said "greens," I just don't know what to do with them!  Spinach I'll eat in salads, blend in smoothies, put on sammiches, etc.  However, I think kale, for example, would make a berry smoothie taste just awful and I'm not too jazzed about the idea of having a kale salad.

Therefore, I was really excited about my recent collard greens purchase.  For those of you who are unfamiliar, collard greens are HUGE.  One leaf is literally larger than my face.  The stem, too, is kind of like the stem of kale, in terms of its durability and its need to be removed prior to eating.  It's also a wee bit larger than kale's stem. 

A collard green leaf is, itself, quite soft and pliable--perfect for a wrap! 

So that's just what I did. 

I wrapped it.

I smeared a crap ton of avocado from last night's dinner on my leaf and then loaded it up with cucumber discs (cut in half for greater rolling ease), shredded carrots, Granny Smith apple wedges, raisins, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and some delicate sunflower sprouts (aw!).  I rolled that bad boy up, tucked it in some foil so it would keep its wrap-like form, and paired it with some grapes.

Nearly four hours later and I feel on top of the world.  Like, I can see through walls.  I attribute this superhuman feeling to my collard green from earlier.  I feel indestructable.  This is awesome. 

I will upload pictures of my wrap later tonight!

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.
- Hippocrates

No comments:

Post a Comment