30 March 2012

RECIPE: Vegan (Almost Raw) Apple Tartlet

My mom's birthday was this past Tuesday and for her special day I made these apple tartlets.  They are not complicated to make but they do require some "waiting" time.  The payoff will be worth it, though, trust me.




Vegan Apple Tartlet

Ingredients:

Crust
-  1/2 c. almonds
-  1/2 c. walnuts
-  4 Medjool dates

Cashew Sweet Cream Filling
-  1/2 c. cashews, soaked overnight
-  1/4 c. almond milk
-  1/2 tsp. lemon juice
-  1/4 tsp. vanilla extract (or powder, if you'd prefer)
-  1 tsp. organic cane sugar (1 1/2 tsp. of agave nectar or maple syrup will work as well)
-  Dash of cinnamon

Apple Topping
-  2 Pink Lady apples (or apples of your choice), peeled and diced
*I wanted my diced apple pieces on the tiny side because of the petite nature of the dessert! 
-  1 T. organic cane sugar
-  1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 425.'
2.  Use a paper towel to grease two 5" quiche dishes with coconut oil.  Set dishes aside.
3.  Blend together 'Cashew Sweet Cream' ingredients until creamy.  Pour into an airtight container and place in refrigerator to chill.
4.  Use a food processor to combine 'Crust' ingredients (you might need to cut your dates smaller if they are on the dry side--I did not need to because my dates were quite moist, but I have needed to cut my dates in the past due to their firmer texture).  Mixture will be done when large ball forms, usually after about a minute or so in the food processor.  
5.  Toss apples in cinnamon-sugar mixture and spread in an even layer in a 9" x 13" glass casserole dish.  Roast for 8 minutes, taking care not to over-bake.  You want your apples slightly soft but by no means mushy!
6.  While apples are roasting, divide 'Crust' mixture between the two greased quiche dishes and press dough in to place.  Cover each dish with cling wrap and refrigerate for an hour.  You cannot over-refrigerate but try and let the crusts chill for at least an hour.  Doing so will allow the crust to firm up.
7.  When apples are done, remove casserole dish from oven and allow apples to come to room temperature.
8.  Remove chilled crusts and sweet cream from refrigerator.  Spoon half of the sweet cream into each dish and spread it in an even layer.  Re-cover dishes and place back in the refrigerator to chill for another half hour (again, longer can't hurt).
9.  When ready to eat, remove dishes from the refrigerator and finish tartlet assembly by dividing apples between the two dishes, atop the sweet cream.
10.  Enjoy!




*Note:  I roasted my apples but this recipe could very easily be modified to be 100% raw, if that's your preference!

2 comments:

  1. These look fantastic! I love pink lady apples, they have to be my favorite apple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Veronica!!! Yes, I LOVE Pink Ladies. I think they're my favorite too...although I do love me my Fujis...

    ReplyDelete