07 March 2012

Wilted Spinach Salad with Balsamic Mushrooms and Roasted Grapefruit/Kiwi

Last night was a night for cooking!  Well, kind of.  I tried out a new recipe for dinner and dessert and baked my Chunky Monkeys.

For dinner I made a Wilted Spinach Salad with Balsamic Mushrooms.  I got the original recipe here but modified it :)  It was scrumptious.  What drew me to the recipe was the unique ingredient pairings--balsamic, corn, cashews--but the flavors of all the ingredients worked together beautifully.  The salad was a true sensory experience--for my eyes, nose and, of course, mouth ;)




The salad was really quick to make too, which was awesome, because I was hungry.  It took under ten minutes to cook.  I'm continually reminded of how a home-cooked meal does not need to take forever.  A great meal can be achieved in, quite literally, five minutes!  I just need to remember this the next time I'm feeling lazy!  I will definitely make this salad again, and next time, probably more of it!



My dessert experiment was roasted grapefruit and kiwi, using muscovado sugar.  I found the recipe in the New York times, originally.  It was good (my first time trying muscovado sugar, which is like a very dark brown sugar) but I'm not sure if I will make this again.  It was just a tad too sweet for me--I think I would rather have the plain fruit!  The dessert sure makes for pretty photos, though!




No comments:

Post a Comment