18 July 2012

Wednesday, Yummy Wednesday

Welllllll my zeal for creating Ezekial Sprouted Grain Muffin concoctions was thwarted when, yesterday, I opened my refrigerator to find...none.  That, however, did not discourage me from thinking up other *creative* dishes using ingredients I already had on hand!

For lunch I had vegetarian grape leaves (cooked in lemon juice and stuffed with chickpeas, rice, tomatoes and spices) with my mama at a cute, nearby Greek coney island.  We split an order of hummus for the appetizer, and, being the fruit and veggie fiend that I am, I brought my own chopped up carrot to dip in the hummus because I didn't want the pita they serve with it.

Yes, I was that person.  Awhile ago I read that Gwyneth Paltrow brought her own steak or fish or something like that to be cooked by the chef at some Parisian restaurant, so I guess I'm kind of like that, except without the pretentiousness and, obviously, the meat.

Today for lunch I was still feeling *economical* so I used what I had on hand: two remaining sheets of nori, half an avocado, two carrots, a remaining hunk of cucumber and wasabi powder (to make a paste) from a quickly diminishing tin of the stuff.

Et voila!


I made sushi.



 
And then I chopped up a p-e-r-f-e-c-t-l-y ripe mango to have with it (duh).


For dinner my MOM actually treated me to a beautiful, home-cooked dinner of corn-quinoa pasta (AWESOME, by the way!) tossed in a refreshing blend of lemon juice, oil, garlic and basil and garnished with toasted almonds.  She served it with über fresh French rolls and my new favorite wine: Green Fin.  It's organic and, as the description accurately describes, tastes of orange blossom with heavy undertones of nectarine.  I purchased it from Trader Joe's for $3.99.  Yes, that is correct--not even $4.00 and the taste is superb.






No comments:

Post a Comment