17 May 2012
RECIPE: Wilted Kale Salad in Ginger-Soy Dressing with Avocado, Grapefruit and Almonds
When the warm weather finally hits all my body really craves are light, refreshing meals with lots of fruits and veggies! This meal delivers! Not only does it leave me feeling content and satisfied but I feel energized and ready to take on the world! (Or at least not fall asleep as my system works to digest my meal). It's perfect because it has a crunch and slight saltiness from the almonds, a buttery softness from the avocado, a tart juiciness from the grapefruit, and a zing from the dressing. The kale, too, is just a wonderful overall complimentary texture.
This salad satisfies my craving for different textures and flavors, and is, quite simply, delicious!
Wilted Kale Salad in Ginger-Soy Dressing with Avocado, Grapefruit and Almonds
Salad (for one serving)
- 5 or 6 stalks of kale, washed and chopped (stalks removed)
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1 red grapefruit, diced, skins removed
- 1 T. toasted slivered almonds
- 1-2 T. Ginger-Soy Dressing*
Dressing (makes enough for 4-5 salads)
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1/4 c. tamari
- 3" hunk of ginger, peeled and finely minced
- 2 T. agave nectar
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Salt, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 325.'
2. Process all dressing ingredients together.
3. Toast almonds in the oven for 6-7 minutes.
4. Massage 1-2 T. dressing into kale leaves for a minute or so, sprinkle with a little salt and let sit.
5. After a few minutes of "marinating" in the dressing, transfer kale leaves to a plate and arrange avocado, grapefruit and toasted almonds on top.