I think it is fair to say I am OBSESSED with salads. And grapefruit. I love thinking of different toppings and food combinations to plop on top of my bed of greens, and usually grapefruit sneaks its way in.
Tonight I created salad of romaine and leaf lettuce with roasted beets and ruby red grapefruit. I got the inspiration for this salad from Angela Liddon's WONDERFUL Oh She Glows blog but made some slight modifications.
Roasted Beet and Grapefruit Salad
Salad (for one serving)
- 3 heaping cups of lettuce, your choice (I used romaine and leaf lettuce)
- 2 beets, roasted*
- 1 ruby red grapefruit, cut into large chunks, skins removed
- 2 T. toasted slivered almonds
- 2 T. Creamy Avocado Dressing (follows)
*Note: To roast beets, drizzle with 1 T. olive oil, a few shakes of salt, and wrap in foil. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 1 hour in a 425' oven. Allow beets to cool for 10-15 minutes before removing skins. Chop into coarse chunks.)
Creamy Avocado Dressing (makes approximately 1 cup)
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 c. coconut cream (the thick layer at the top of the can--so don't shake first!)
- 1/4 c. lime juice
- 2 T. orange juice
- 1 T. agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
1. Process dressing ingredients in a food processor. Done!
2. Assemble greens on plate, add dressing (it will be thick so don't be afraid to use your fingers!) and top with prepared grapefruit and beets. Lastly, sprinkle with almonds.
3. Eat up!