28 January 2013

RECIPE: Chocolate Lover's Smoothie

This smoothie, which, in all fairness, should be dubbed a "milkshake" due to its decadence, is so yummy I had it two days in a row.  Tomorrow will make it three, most likely, and Wednesday, four, and, well...you get the idea.  It's good.

The first time I made it without cacao powder.  It was delicious but the addition of cacao powder makes it all the more wonderful.  Not to mention, cacao powder is an excellent source of fiber, antioxidants and a bucket list of other good things, branding it a nutritional "Superfood."  So in it went.  No guilt.

Hope you enjoy!

Ingredients:
- 1/2 c. flavored coffee (regular will suffice buuuuuuttttttt...)
- 1/2 c. cashew milk (again, any non dairy milk will work but I like cashew milk for its creaminess!)
- 1 date, roughly chopped
- 1 T. ground flax seed
- 1 T. cacao powder
- 1 tsp. lucuma powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- 1.5 frozen bananas
- 3-4 ice coconut water ice cubes (I wanted to make use of the coconut water in my fridge that I was not going to be able to drink before its expiration date but regular ice cubes would TOTALLY suffice)
- 1 T. cacao nibs plus extra for garnish
-  Shredded coconut

Directions:
1.  Place all ingredients, except for cacao nibs and coconut, in high-speed blender in the order listed and blend for 20 seconds.
2.  Add 1 T. cacao nibs and blend on low for just a couple seconds so that they are just incorporated.
3.  Pour milkshake...err smoothie (It sounds healthier)...into a glass.  Garnish with some shredded coconut and cacao nibs and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. This smoothie seriously made my mouth water on Instagram. It is genius!! I don't drink coffee much anymore but I would use cold brewed coffee to make this treat (60-70% less acidic!). I seriously can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great substitution! I really hope you make it! If/when you do, please let me know how you like it and, of course, take pictures!!

    Ooh! And you can OBVIOUSLY use any non-dairy milk but I just wanted to make another comment here about cashew milk: I LOVE it. It is so creamy and wonderful and does not need to be strained--it's like 2% milk! So yup, that's my new favorite nut milk...just sayin' ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the cashew milk suggestion! I wonder how creamy I can get it in my regular blender? I could always give it a try! Do you use vanilla extract in it? I bet that would make it that much better!

      Delete
  3. Yes, vanilla extract is a must! I have a really sensitive palate so for me cashew-based anything has too strong a cashew flavor (not always optimal) and I have to counter the flavor with spices/seasonings.

    As for your blender, yes, give it a try! Just soak the crap out of them first so that they're softer and blend better. Good luck! Let me know how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete