Sorry I have been so absent these past few days! I am excited to share my recent creative endeavor (actually, one of many creative endeavors as of late). Vegan Carrot Cake Pops!
- 2 T. ground flax seed
- 1/2 c. applesauce (preferably organic)
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. coconut cream (refrigerate a can of coconut milk overnight and skim off top layer)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 c. + whole wheat flour*
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- Scant 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3-4 large carrots, finely shredded (apx. 2 heaping cups)
- 1 can crushed pineapple (preferably organic), thoroughly drained
- 1/2 c. raisins, heaping
- 1/2 c. toasted walnuts
- Unsweetened, shredded coconut or crushed walnuts, for rolling
- 1 HEAPING c. vegan cream cheese frosting
*Gluten-Free Option: Sub out whole wheat flour for your favorite G-F blend and add 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum.
1. Preheat oven to 350' F. Grease a jelly roll pan (or baking sheet) with 1/2 tsp. coconut oil.
2. Mix the flax seed and applesauce together in a small dish and set aside. Meanwhile, mix brown sugar, coconut cream and vanilla together in a large bowl (mixing by hand will work fine!). Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add to wet. Add in flax-applesauce mixture.
3. Fold in carrots, pineapple, raisins and walnuts until just incorporated. Pour mixture into prepared pan and spread evenly with a spatula, tapping it on the counter to even it out.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until edges come away slightly and cake is firm to the touch. Allow to cool completely in jelly roll pan on wire racks.
5. In a large bowl, dump carrot cake and add frosting. Mix together very well (I used a potato masher) and refrigerate 30 minutes to an hour.
6. Line a tupperware container with waxed paper and set aside.
7. Remove chilled cake mixture from fridge and use a tablespoon to scoop out cake. Form into balls and roll in coconut/crushed walnuts. Place in tupperware and store in refrigerator. Will keep for two weeks...if they last that long!