07 November 2012

RECIPE: Raw Vegan 'Oat'meal

Yay!  I have held up my commitment to blogging for day number two!

Today I decided to share a recipe.  I have been enjoying raw 'oat'meal for breakfast the past few days.  The 'oat'meal is tasty, full of different textures, satisfying and nutritious!  Not to mention, it's incredibly easy to make and can be modified to suit different taste preferences.


Ingredients:
-  3 T. flaxseed
-  1/2 c. almond or other non-dairy milk (you can use more/less to give your 'oat'meal a thinner/thicker consistency)
-  1 banana (again, you could alter this by blending 2 bananas for a thicker texture and more banana-y taste, or chop up a second banana to have another layer of texture in your oatmeal!)
-  2 tsp. pure maple syrup, or to taste
-  1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon, or to taste
-  Sea salt, to taste
-  2 T. toasted pecans or other nut of choice (I realize toasting the nuts makes them not authentically "raw" but the pecans simply MUST be toasted for maximum flavor!!!--NOT optional!)

Directions:
Scoop flaxseed into a bowl and pour milk over.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.  This will allow the mixture to get thick and goopy (I know this sounds a little gross but it will allow for an amazing oatmeal-y texture).  The following morning, blend the rest of your ingredients (except for the pecans) and garnish with toasted pecans.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Oooh this sounds so yummy! I have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sarah! Yes, it's great! I always have this on days when I have to be at work early. I let my flax seed and dates soak overnight (lately I've been using Medjool dates instead of maple syrup just for a change of pace) and in the morning add my banana, cinnamon and a dash of sea salt, blend with an immersion blender (so I don't have to dirty my full-size blender), throw in some nuts and go! Let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete